2.08.2013

{Award Winning} Chicken Taco Chili

Image via Pinterest
If you're like me, it's easy to feel depressed during the months of January, February and March because a) It's cold and all you want to wear are sweats and UGGs, b) Spring is still 3 months away, c) There's only ONE holiday off work in THREE months, and d) Despite all the new year's resolutions you made, the last thing you want to do is cook healthy meals and work out. (See how I turned it around on you? ;))

On days when this is you, slip into your comfiest pajamas and remedy the cold with this delicious (and healthy!) crockpot chili (and spend hours looking at spring fashion while its cooking). Trust me, it's amazing! You can also freeze the leftovers for a super quick meal :)


Chicken Taco Chili (recipe from Skinny Taste)

1 16-oz can black beans
1 16-oz can kidney beans
1 8-oz can tomato sauce (I use a 16 oz can and a splash of tomato juice to make it a little more soupy)
10 oz package frozen corn kernels (I use 2 small cans of corn kernels)
2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies 
1 packet taco seasoning
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder 
 24 oz (3) boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 onion, chopped (I actually forgot this recipe calls for an onion. I've never used one)
chili peppers, chopped (optional, I don't include this)
chopped fresh cilantro
 
Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Top with fresh cilantro, low fat shredded cheese and/or sour cream.  


Enjoy!

Note: This chili is "award winning" because it beat 7 other entries at the Island Community Church Annual Chili Cook-off this past Sunday. I even have the trophy to prove it.






^ via Instagram. Follow me @thesequinedspaniel :)

Happy Friday!

3 comments:

  1. Why did I open this page? I'm ALREADY starving, now it's worse. Award-winning chili? Great. Now I'm famished. In all seriousness, it looks DELICIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Sarah. Now, I'm hungry!

    I'm with the Memphis blog group. Nice to meet ya!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks so much for reading!

Blogging tips