3.07.2013

Mexican Casserole


I love all kinds Mexican dishes any day of the week, sometimes multiple times. I am always looking for new recipes to mix up my usuals, and I found this one on the back of a McCormick spice pack. I love it because it's incredibly easy and quick and feeds 4-5 people, which means leftovers for Tyler and me! It doesn't freeze well, so eating the refrigerated leftovers in the next few days is crucial.

Mexican Casserole

1 lb ground beef
1 can tomato sauce
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn, drained
1 can rotel
8 flour tortillas
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp oregano leaves

Brown beef in large skillet; drain. Add tomato sauce, beans, corn, rotel, and spices; mix well. Bring to boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Layer two tortillas in a buttered casserole dish. They may overlap in the middle. Spread mixture over the tortillas, sprinkle cheese, and layer another pair of tortillas. Repeat with remaining mixture and tortillas. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until heated through.


*Note: I've also seen variations that call for sour cream in place of tomato sauce. Feel free to substitute chicken for beef, add onions and/or peppers, or spread on individual tortillas to make a low(er) carb Mexican pizza!

1 comment:

  1. just found this cute blog of yours.

    happy to follow along :)

    -marsa
    The DayLee Journal

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks so much for reading!

Blogging tips