1.29.2013

DIY Headboard


It's not as hard as it looks, I promise. It's actually really simple, believe it or not. I don't consider myself a very creative person when it comes to DIY projects-- I can copy most things with photos and detailed instructions, but I am not the type to come up with these things on my own. Enter Pinterest. My favorite site on the Internet, even more so than J. Crew (Seriously, how did people plan weddings without it?!). There are just SO many ideas, my brain becomes overloaded every time I look. This headboard was my first DIY project since discovering Pinterest (except for my dining chairs re-cover project, which did not require any creative skills whatsoever) and I am so pleased with the end result, and the fact that I managed not to harm myself or anyone else with the staple gun.

I pulled tips and ideas from many DIY blogs I found through Pinterest, but most of my inspiration came from Freckles Chick's DIY headboard.


Materials needed:

Upholstery fabric (number of yards determined according to the desired dimensions)
Piece of plywood (many bloggers suggested 1/2 - 1 inch thick, but I think mine was 1 1/2 or 2 inches) Home Depot cut it to my dimensions for free.
Batting (I used 3 layers of twin-size quilter's batting)
Foam, optional (I chose to use a little extra batting instead of foam. I was afraid my nailheads wouldn't stick all the way through to the wood)
Staple gun
Nailhead trim kit 
Rubber mallet 
Scissors
Heavy duty wall mount (If you plan on hanging it on the wall as opposed to attaching to the bed frame)

1. One layer at a time, spread the batting flat on the floor, and position the plywood on top so that it is somewhat centered. Using the staple gun, wrap the batting around the plywood and secure tightly. You may need to trim excess to prevent bulkiness on the back. Repeat with remaining batting layers.
2. Iron your fabric. I know, I know, everyone hates ironing but don't be tempted to skip this step. Or you might have fold creases on the front of your new headboard and be very upset. Consider yourself warned. I also recommend vacuuming your floor beforehand to make sure your fabric stays clean.
3. Carefully lay your fabric on the floor, with the inside facing up, and position your padded plywood in the center of the fabric. Pick a side to start on, and begin folding your fabric over and securing with the staple gun. Don't be tempted to move around in a circle-- Instead, then move to the opposite side and pull tight.
4. Don't stress out about the corners. With each corner, I pulled the middle of the fabric corner straight up and stapled, which left fabric loose on both sides. Then I folded each side to the opposite side of the corner. (This would probably make more sense if I illustrated with photos, but I didn't have a blog then... forgive me?) Be sure and practice folding the corner how you want it before stapling, or else your husband will get real mad about having to get the staples out and call you names like "picky" and "OCD freak."
5. Almost done! Flip the headboard over so the top is facing up, and begin positioning the nailhead trim along the edge. Use a ruler to keep it straight and the same distance from the edge (I think ours was 1 inch from the edge).
6. Nail in every 5th nailhead (the rest is fake) and try not to lose your mind or be too OCD (I was guilty of both those, just ask my husband). I just put the nailhead across the top and down both sides, because the bottom is hidden anyway and the nailhead trim was running out...
7. Yay! You're done! But your man's not, because he has to hang it on the wall while you lay on the bed and watch.

Since taking these photos, I have gotten 3 Euro pillows and shams that match the duvet cover.


You know how you plan your entire bedroom decor based on one pillow? A pillow that you don't even have yet? Am I the only one? Don't judge me. It was love at first sight for me and this pillow from Caitlin Wilson Textiles. So naturally, I set my heart on a mint headboard and wasn't satisfied until I found mint fabric that matched that fabric swatch exactly. Trust me, it wasn't easy (or exactly cheap) but when I set my heart on something I become kind of obsessed. Tyler's thrilled with that part of my personality.

Image via Caitlin Wilson Textiles

Pictured above is the combination of pillow covers I absolutely LOVE and I am so impatient to get them! I plan to use the gray chevron pillow I already have and purchase the floral and smaller chevron pillow to complete our bed!

If you're considering going DIY for a new headboard, don't hesitate! It's way cheaper, totally customizable, and so satisfying when you see the end result! I'm already itching to make another one for our guest bed!

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE that headboard! We desperately need one for our room, but I just keep putting it off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this: you did such an amazing job! And the color is so pretty and unique, it will look fantastic with those pillows!

    xx Ivana

    Macarons and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful and i love the color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I've been wanting to make my own headboard for a while now, but have just been too busy (or lazy) to get the materials. This post is re-inspiring me to just do it! And love the colors. Absolutely beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fantastic! I did something similar to it here: http://kategreer.wordpress.com/2013/01/11/diy-headboard-complete/

    www.katelyngreer.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been looking for a good tutorial on how to do this and this is perfect! I'll be making one for my dorm so this is a big help! Found your blog on Southern Blog Society!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks so much for reading!

Blogging tips