4.16.2013

Black Bean & Spinach Enchiladas


Another Pinterest recipe, another keeper. 

It's hard to mess up beans, corn, spinach, cheese and spices wrapped up in a tortilla. But, if it could be done, I'd be the one to figure out how to do it. I was a little nervous about making my own enchilada sauce, and about halfway through I was convinced I'd screwed it up because it became a weird pasty dough-like mixture that I wasn't expecting. I had to whisk it awhile after adding the broth, but the chunks whisked out eventually. 

I'm thinking about doing some with cheese sauce next time! With next time being tomorrow night when our friends Will and Courtney come over. I don't think we've ever shared a meal together that wasn't Mexican. Except the time Will made deer chili and I'm ashamed to say I ate and enjoyed it. Poor Bambi. That's the great thing about these enchiladas: No animals were harmed.

Ingredients
{For the sauce}

3 cups organic low sodium vegetable broth
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. chili powder
Salt/pepper


{For the enchiladas}
15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups corn (I used frozen, thawed)
6 oz. fresh baby spinach
6 green onions, thinly sliced
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
2 tsp. cumin
3 cups shredded 3 cheese blend (or pepper jack, etc.)
8 whole wheat or flour tortillas



Directions
  • To make the sauce: in a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add tomato paste, flour, 2 tsp. cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder. Cook 1 minute. Whisk in broth, bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer, and cook until slightly thickened about 8 minutes. Salt/pepper to taste, and set aside.
  • Saute the spinach in olive oil over medium heat for 1-2 minutes until slightly wilted.
  • In a large bowl, combine spinach with beans, 2 cups cheese, spinach, corn, green onions, 2 tsp. cumin, and cilantro.
  • Lightly spray a 9x13 inch baking dish, and pour a small amount of the sauce to coat the bottom.
  • Generously fill tortillas with mixture, roll up tightly with ends tucked in, and place seam side down in dish.
  • Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas, coating evenly. Sprinkle 1 cup cheese on top.
  • Bake about 20 minutes at 375, and garnish with cilantro and/or green onions (optional).

1 comment:

  1. Deer chili is soooo good!
    I love black beans, i'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks so much for reading!

Blogging tips