4.15.2013

5 Things

5 Things (you may not know about me)

1. In college, pre-Bella, I was dying for a pet. I kept telling Tyler how much I wanted a dog, even though I wasn’t allowed to have one on campus. I also wanted a hedgehog at one point. The summer before my junior year, Tyler came back from the beach and brought back with him a turtle. For me. To have as a pet. It was a little thing, about the size of a half-dollar. I named him Franklin. He lived in a little plastic container with a pink lid filled with water. Sometimes I’d let him run around my bedroom. Once I almost couldn’t find him. He was hiding under my TV stand. It was a pain to travel with Franklin. I had to pour out most of the water from his container so it wouldn’t slosh around in the car. Franklin would try and climb up the side of his house, and fall on his back. Then he couldn’t get up. Whoever was with me would have to pick up him and set him upright multiple times during the trip. Franklin didn’t like traveling. When I graduated and moved to Memphis, Franklin outgrew his little container. Tyler and I bought him a good-sized aquarium, with places to play and a ledge for him to sun on. That tank was a pain to clean. When I moved out of my first apartment in Memphis, Tyler’s parents took Franklin to live at their house because we weren’t allowed to have an aquarium at our current apartment. Since then, Franklin doubled, probably tripled, in size. He’s now larger than my hand. Tyler keeps trying to find someone to adopt Franklin or else he says he’s going to set him loose in a pond. Isn’t that mean? Poor Franklin.


2. I have a really, really bad memory. Tyler says he often feels like he’s on 50 First Dates. Sometimes I just forget things he tells me! Even worse, I’ve forgotten important details about our relationship, such as where our first date was (but I DO remember the first movie we watched together was Borat. Quite the first movie date, huh?). When I recall past events like a concert, a trip, a childhood memory, there are always holes throughout. It’s so frustrating! I’m very fortunate that I have photos and Tyler to help me remember things that have happened. Sometimes it’s like hearing a story for the very first time! 

3. I majored in English in undergrad, with a Creative Writing concentration, which means I took a variety of English classes (literature, technical writing, editing, etc.) but the main focus was creative writing. It wasn’t necessarily something I thought I would want to do long-term, but I figured it could only help improve my writing skills. I quickly learned I hated poetry, my life was too boring for non-fiction, but I actually enjoyed writing fiction. My junior year, I wrote a fiction story that was very dark and disturbing, which ended with a violent crime. It was like nothing I had ever written. When I turned it in to my professor, he asked if I’d plagiarized. Here he had a little blonde cheerleader sitting in front of him, presenting him with such story, and he couldn’t possibly believe it “came from my pretty little head.”  After I convinced him it was 100% mine, he encouraged me to enter it into our school’s literary contest, judged by outside authors. My story won, I received $500, and I bought my first designer bag. If that’s not a happy ending, I don’t know what is.

4. Now, I love teen soaps like Gossip Girl & The O.C., but my favorite type of TV program is crime drama. It’s a plus if a government agency is involved. It’s just so fascinating! My favorites are Law and Order: SVU, The Following, Homeland, Dexter, Prison Break, and 24. Based on these, what recommendations do you have for me? I need a new show to be addicted to! I never got into CSI or NCIS, but I’m thinking about trying Bones. What do y’all think?

5. I’ve had cornrows twice in my life. When I was 5… totally my mom’s fault. What was she thinking? Again when I was 13… way old enough to know better. I guess I wanted to be like Monica.


I was tagged by the adorable Jordan from Exclusively Chic. We met at Memphis Fashion Week last weekend! I promise to share details and photos from that soon!

The winner of the LuLuLe giveaway is Emmy! Thank you to everyone who entered, and don't forget to take advantage of the 25% off promotion using the code "sequined" through May 31st! 

3 comments:

  1. You MUST watch Scandal if you like crime drama! I am seriously obsessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading (& laughing) at these! And why isn't Criminal Minds on your favorites list??

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so fun to read! How cute is your turtle story. And I feel like my memory is awful too, it is very frustrating!

    I'm so jealous/excited that my friend Emmy won the earrings!!

    -AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks so much for reading!

Blogging tips